Organiser Position advertised
Start Date: To be negotiated with a preference for as early as possible in May 2016
End Date: 31st May 2019
The Australian Education Union - ACT Branch invites applications for the above vacancy. Members of the ACT Government Service are eligible to take LWOP from the employer to fill this position.
Duties of the Position
- Organise the membership in the Canberra Institute of Technology for the ACT Branch.
- Develop and implement member recruitment strategies for an identified area.
- Encourage active involvement of members in Branch forums and the general affairs of the Branch.
- Facilitate the effective participation of members within all Union structures and activities.
- Implement policy and other decisions of the Branch forums.
- Contribution to the development and delivery of training for members.
- Provision of advice, support and guidance to members experiencing problems in their employment within an organising framework.
- Organise and support specific committees and workgroups.
- Attend Branch Council, TAFE Council and all mass or stop work meetings.
- Prepare reports for Branch Executive, Branch Council, TAFE Council and members.
- Demonstrated understanding of organising and recruitment principles.
- Demonstrated understanding of the delivery of a membership-led industrial campaign.
- Demonstrated commitment to trade union principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to public education.
- High level written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in the development and delivery of training.
- Advanced negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the industrial and professional issues facing public educators in the Vocational Education and Training Sector.
- Industry experience in a Vocational setting.
Salary: $110,720 [currently equivalent to an Executive Teacher].
Hours of Work: 35hr working week but option to work part time is negotiable.
License: It is a requirement of this position that employees have a current driver’s licence and a registered and appropriately insured motor vehicle for use in the position. Employees are entitled to an allowance for work related travel.
The AEU’s Objects
To obtain and secure for its members the best possible conditions and proper and sufficient remuneration and to guard them against any hardship, oppression or injustice in connection with their employment.
To foster, protect and promote the interests of government and public education, including kindergarten and preschool education, infants and primary education, secondary education, technical and further education, education at universities and colleges of advanced education and recurrent education.
Applications addressing the selection criteria, together with a CV, should be emailed to the AEU Office at email@example.com by COB Monday 16th May 2015. For further information please contact Andy Jennings at the AEU Office on 02 6272 7900.