Branch Executive Nominations Open
All financial AEU ACT members are eligible to nominate to be on the team leading our union.
Call for nominations
All financial AEU ACT Branch members are invited to nominate to be a member of Branch Executive for the two year term beginning July 1, 2015. It’s a great way of becoming deeply involved in your union and developing a broad understanding of education across the ACT.
Nominations are called for:
- General Membership Representatives (8) (other than TAFE & ACT Pre-School Sub-branches)
- ACT Pre-School Sub-Branches Representative (1)
- ACT Pre-School Sub-Branches Alternate Representative (1)
- TAFE Sub-Branches Representative (1)
- TAFE Sub-branches Alternative Representative (1)
Written nominations must reach the Returning Officer (Neil Kean, Australian Electoral Commission, PO Box 496 Haymarket NSW 1240 or firstname.lastname@example.org) not later than 4.30pm on Friday , 10 April 2015.
What is Branch Executive?
Executive is comprised of:
- The Branch Secretary
- The Branch President
- Three (3) Vice-Presidents
- Eight (8) General Membership Representatives
- A TAFE Representative and Alternate TAFE Representative
- A Preschool Representative and Alternate Preschool Representative
- AEU ACT staff attend meetings of Branch Executive in an ex officio capacity.
(NB – the positions for Branch Secretary, Branch President and Branch Vice-Presidents are not up for election at the moment as their two-year terms commenced January 1, 2015.)
The responsibilities of Branch Executive include:
- Managing the affairs of the Branch generally and acting to achieve the union’s objectives
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures relating to the expenditure of the Branch.
- Overseeing the financial management of the Branch
- Appointing employees of the Union responsible for carrying out duties within the Branch, determining their duties, fixing remuneration and suspending or discharging any such employee
- Exercising all or any of the powers and carrying out and performing all or any of the duties and functions of Branch Council, subject to directions given by Branch Council.
What is the role of members of Branch Executive?
- Set the strategic and policy direction of the union, subject to the decisions made by Branch Council.
- Members of Branch Executive manage the financial affairs of our union.
- Attend Branch Executive meetings (14 times a year on Tuesday evenings) at 40 Brisbane Avenue Barton. Meeting dates for Semester 2, 2015 are: July 28; August 25; September 15;
October 13; November 3; November 24; December 8
- Attend Branch Council meetings (Branch Executive members are automatically members of Council) at CIT Reid. Meeting dates for Semester 2, 2015 are August 8; September 5; October 24; and November 21.
How do I nominate?
To nominate, you need to have two nominators who are financial members of the ACT Branch of the AEU. Once you have got their signatures and completed the nomination form, please submit it to the Returning Officer, Neil Kean, Australian Electoral Commission. It must be received by the Electoral Commission not later than 4.30pm on Friday , 10 April 2015.
By post: PO Box 496 Haymarket NSW 1240
By fax: (02) 9375 6336
By hand: Level 10, 59 Goulburn Street, Haymarket NSW 2000
By email: email@example.com (submit as PDF file, emails greater than 6 MB size may not be accepted by the AEC’s firewall.
Note: nominees for TAFE and Preschool Executive positions need to be nominated by, respectively, members from TAFE or Preschool
In case an election is necessary, please send a candidate statement to the AEU ACT office
Elections will be conducted if there are more nominees than vacancies. In this instance, nominees will be provided space in the ACT Educator and on the AEU ACT website to communicate their suitability for the position.
When you nominate, please send the AEU office:
- A candidate statement of up to 100 words, explaining why members should vote for you
- a high resolution portrait photo
When and how will the ballot take place?
The ballot, if required, will open on Thursday, 7 May 2015 and close at 12.00 noon on Thursday, 28 May 2015. The AEC will send all financial members a ballot form to be returned by post. In addition to opportunities to communicate with members through the ACT Educator and the AEU website, nominees will receive the opportunity to promote their candidacy at the May 9 meeting of Branch Council.
Please contact Lead Organiser, Andy Jennings, if you would like to chat about the role (6272 7900, Andy.Jennings@aeuact.org.au).