Viv Pearce - A Great Friend of Public Education
Congratulations Viv Pearce - winner of the 2015 AEU ACT Friend of Public Education Award.
2015 AEU ACT Friend of Public Education Award winner, Viv Pearce, with Member for Canberra, Gai Brodtmann.
Viv Pearce is a great friend of public education.
As an ex teacher and public school parent, Viv has had a long and active involvement in the promotion and development of public education for all. She has been involved with school and college P&C associations in the ACT for over 20 years, first at Giralang Primary School, then Kaleen High School and later at Lake Ginninderra College, whom she still represents as a delegate to the ACT Council of P&C Associations.
Viv joined the Executive Committee of the P&C Council in 2008 and held positions of Assistant Secretary, Vice President and President and is now the Immediate Past President and still serving on the Executive.
Viv has contributed on a wide range of P&C committees, working groups and reference groups, including:
- The ACT Election Working Group
- The Canteen Working Group
- The Communications & Social Media Committee
- The Disability and special needs education working group
- The Gifted & Talented Students Working Group
- The Schools & Community in Partnership committee
- The Sustainable Schools Team
Viv has contributed to various ACT government, directorate and industry bodies such as the:
- ACT Curriculum Task Force
- Australian Sustainable Schools initiative
- EALD/Literacy & Numeracy Reference Group
- Excellence & Enterprise Stakeholder Forum
- Gifted & Talented Pre Consultation Working Group
- Ministerial Task Force on Learning Difficulties
- New & Emerging Communities Forum
- Safe Schools Task Force
- School Transport Liaison Committee
Viv has been one of the most active people in Canberra lobbying for implementation of the Gonski report recommendations and, earlier, on opposing public school closures. She has been a passionate supporter of improvements for special needs students, sustainable and safe schools, curriculum review and teacher standards. She has equally fought against the misuse of NAPLAN data and reductions in specialist teachers.
Viv, congratulations on winning the 2015 AEU ACT Friend of Public Education Award and thank you for your service to public education.